Hawaiian Sunset at Hapuna Beach
Tuesday, September 9, 2008
successful day!
Today we made some decisions. We bought a car for me. It's a 2005 Toyota Corrola. It's champagne in color (goldish) with tan interior. It's really nice. Jenna likes it because the interior reminds her of sand and it is a perfect match to her booster seat! :) We found a house that we really like. It's a big house with three bedrooms and 3 bathrooms. It has a huge living room area and a nice kitchen. In the basement, there is a big family room, a bedroom and bathroom. It's probably bigger than we need, but the cost of it is about the same as everything else that we have looked at and it's a lot nicer. We're filling out the rental application and will hopefully know soon whether we will be able to rent it. The only drawback that I can think of is that the yard is all gravel. There is absolutely NO grass! There are a few trees, but there is no grass. The yard is nice sized and would be nice if it had grass but I guess the owners didn't want to deal with mowing the lawn. Oh well, we like it anyway. Now the only decision to make is a school for Jenna. We looked at another public school today. We liked it and are debating between this one and the Christian school. The problem with the public school is that we can't enroll her until we have a physical mailing address and we're not sure where we will be living. Plus, the public school started at the beginning of August so she has already missed more than a month of school. The other thing that bothers me about public school is that after elementary school, the public schools are not that great, so we would probably move her to a private school. The Christian school (which is a private school) is nice because where we live doesn't matter, and they started 2 weeks ago so she won't have missed as much. We could start her right away. The Christian school is smaller and real family focused, and we wouldn't have to change schools when she gets into Jr. High (IF we are still here. Please don't panic!) The only drawback is that we have to pay for her to attend there. We hope to have a decision made tomorrow. After we did all of these things we took Jenna to a beach in town. It's a great beach for snorkeling, called Keiki Beach. Keiki (pronounced kay-key) is Hawaiian for child. The beach is great for kids because the water is shallow and sheltered by rocks. We went snorkeling here a few times when we were in Hawaii in 2007. We saw 3 sea turtles at this beach today, one was about 18 inches across. I didn't have my camera, but I'll send pictures some other time. The turtles like this beach and are frequently there. Today we watched one eating moss and some other stuff off of the rocks. It was pretty cool to see! AJ plans to start work tomorrow. I will finish researching the schools and try to get Jenna enrolled so she can start this week. Hopefully we can get the house and I can start getting things settled. Our pallets should arrive next week. Things are coming together nicely! Praise God for that!! Until next time...aloha!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
I am glad you are getting settled Lynn. The nights here are getting cool.....
If you can afford it, go with the Christian school. I've always been glad we sent ours to St. Rose! It's getting very chilly way too soon back here and I'm ready to pack and jump on a plane to visit you! Dibs on the 3rd bedroom!!! :) Glad your having a wonderful time!
Mahalo for the blog postings! I will be coming often to read up on your adventure and it helps us to feel connected to you all. After my trip to HI last week, I can't wait to go back and visit you guys once you are settled in. I'm glad things are going so well for you and can't wait for the next posting! Love you all!
Hey Midge,
Good to hear that all is going well and things are falling into place. You will have to let me know how the school thing unfolds. I love to hear what the teachers make, benefits, relocation stuff... From the sounds of it, Hawaii might be just a little more comfortable than what Chicago will be! We found out that the London wedding will be July 4th. That probably means a Hawaii visit will have to wait until year two. Sounds like you will have room for us though! We're looking forward to hearing more. Til next time.
Al, Laura, & Boca
Post a Comment