Hawaiian Sunset at Hapuna Beach

Tuesday, September 16, 2008

vog vs. fog

Today I went furniture shopping. Not a very fun job! I don't know my way around very well so I waste a lot of time and gas trying to find things. It's very frustrating!! I don't really know what we want either, so that doesn't make things any easier. We're going to go to some sales this weekend. Hopefully we can find some nice stuff for not a lot of money. That will probably be a challenge! It was hot today...upper 80's. It was a little clearer today than the past few days. It has been really voggy. Vog is kind of like fog in that it makes it look cloudy and visibility is reduced. Vog is the result of gases that are released from the volcano that mix with water vapor and very small particles, primarily sulfur compounds and sulfur dioxide. The sulfur dioxide can be a health concern. It can cause burning of the eyes, coughing, difficulty breathing, and a feeling of chest tightness. I'm not an expert on vog. I just know it's been in the news a lot lately because there have been air quality warnings out. In fact, I'm getting all the info I'm sharing with you from a brochure that AJ picked up at the fair on Saturday. It says that the further away you are from the volcano, the less likely you are to have any problems, (which seems obvious) but the sulfur dioxide can still be in the air. We are pretty far from the volcano where we live. I haven't noticed any problems with any of us. We haven't been down to see the volcano yet. The last time we were here the lava was running on top of the ground (instead of under the ground), so I'm anxious to see what it's doing now! We may wait to see the emissions from the volcano decrease, or I guess we could wear a mask if we felt it was necessary. Well, not much more to say. Jenna had another great day at school! She really likes it and I'm so thankful for that. She gets out early tomorrow. She'll probably want to go to the beach! It's been all of 5 days since we've been there. She is such a deprived child!! Well, until next time...aloha!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Jenna,
That is the right amount of homework for 2nd grade. My students get 20 minutes of work a night too. I'm just giving them small amounts the first 4 weeks. Some of their homework now is to enjoy the nice weather!! They all like that assignment!! Sure glad you love 2nd grade, so do I.
Love, Aunt Clarissa or Mrs. Busch
Room 2B says "Hi"