Hawaiian Sunset at Hapuna Beach

Sunday, September 21, 2008

This Weekend

This weekend we got a little more accomplished. We went to a few sales on Saturday morning. We bought a patio set. It was in great condition and it was very reasonable. We thought we got an early start, but we learned that if we want to get a chance at any big furniture, like living room or bedroom furniture, we need to be arriving at 6:30 or 7am or else everything will be gone. So we will try again next week. We went to a fruniture store and found a bedroom set that we liked. We put a down payment on it that we can get back if we want to. We want to look at more sales before we buy anything new. So, hopefully we will find something next weekend.

This afternoon we went to a beach. I can't remember the name; it was the first time that we had been to this beach. Jenna and I called it "the airplane beach" because it was just north of the airport and we had airplanes flying above us the whole time we were there. It was actually pretty cool to see. Because the planes were getting ready to land, they were really close to the ground. I saw one plane that said "Hawaiian Airlines" on the side of it. It had a light burned out on the wing! The beach was nice. It had a really long beach of pretty nice sand; not as nice as some other beaches I've seen, but OK. It was windy today, so the water was kind of rough. We weren't able to go snorkeling, but Jenna and AJ built a sand castle. It started to rain about mid-afternoon, so we had to leave. Jenna was pretty disappointed about that. Hopefully we can try another beach next weekend and hopefully we can stay longer. The beach is about 1.5 miles off of the road (actually 1.6 to be exact. AJ checked it). The road is not paved and it is VERY, VERY, VERY rough!!! We had a truck with 4-wheel drive, thank goodness or I'm not sure we would have made parts of it. It took us 15 minutes to drive the 1.6 miles to the beach! I told AJ I would give the beach one more chance, but I'm not sure the drive is worth it! It's a quiet beach, so that is one advantage! There aren't too many people willing to drive their vehicles on the road. We did see a few tourists on the road though...hopefully they don't hurt their rental cars too much!

Well, tomorrow Jenna begins her second week of school. I'm so grateful that she likes it! Today at church she saw one of her classmates. They were both pretty excited to see each other. Her name is Angelic. Jenna said that Angelic was the first new friend she made in Hawaii. Before we moved Jenna said to AJ and me, "I wonder who my first new friend in Hawaii will be?" Now we know! What a blessing!!

Well, I'm going to go to bed. I'm going to get up early and walk in the morning. I haven't done any form of exercise since I finished the triathlon at the end of July. (Well OK, I guess I have run once since then!) I'm feeling really out of shape and I don't think that I could run right now. I need to get back into exercise mode again. As you know, Hawaii is basically a mountain...an island still being formed by the volcano. Because of this, the roads are either UP or DOWN. There are very few, if any, flat roads! I'm not kidding. It's tough to walk, much less run on these roads! When we move into our house, there will be a road by the ocean that is relatively flat. A lot of runners and bikers use this road and I plan to join them as soon as I can run a little way without dying!

The world championship for the Ironman Triathlon is held in Hawaii in October. I'm thinking about doing it! No, I'm kidding of course!! I am thinking about volunteering to help in some way. I'm calling tomorrow to see where I might be needed. I'll give you the scoop later. Right now, I'm going to bed, so until next time...aloha!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Lynn,

Hope your week is going well. Glad to hear Jenna connected with a new friend at church. John is going to harvest beans this week. Praying for you all!