Hawaiian Sunset at Hapuna Beach

Thursday, September 11, 2008

Creepy, crawly critters and other observations

Well, we have officially been here for one week. It feels MUCH longer than that! I'm actually surprised and quite pleased with all that we have accomplished in one week. We heard back from the realtor and it looks like we were approved for the house! She is just contacting the owner about a few things. We will probably be able to move in soon. We enrolled Jenna in school today too. She will start on Monday. It feels good to have those things taken care of. Now, we just need to get the house settled and then I can get my resume updated and start looking for jobs! The fun never ends! :) One thing that I have noticed is all of the critters roaming about. I guess in the past I was always gone somewhere so I didn't notice all of them. There are chickens everywhere! They love to cackle or crow or whatever it is that they do...VERY early in the morning! It's very annoying! There are geckos everywhere too. They're kind of cute and I don't think that they do any harm. They just startle you every once in a while when they dart across the wall. I'm told that the tan colored ones are native to Hawaii and they are being "attacked" by the green colored ones. The green ones were brought into Hawaii from Bangledesh, and they are aggressive towards the tan ones. They don't hurt humans though, so I guess I won't worry about it. There are a lot of creepy, crawly critters that I could do without! There are ants, millipeds, ants, fruit flies, ants, roaches, ants, and really big, ugly spiders all over the place!! Mom, it would drive you crazy! The ants are always, always everywhere you look! In the kitchen of course, but also in the bathroom, living room, and bedroom. I'm not sure why, but they are everywhere!!! It's a very good incentive to always have the kitchen cleaned up, or else you risk having the entire colony in your house! The spiders are huge and creepy! There are lots of the yellow and black garden spiders that spin HUGE webs. The webs are actually kind of cool to see, except of course when you WALK into it and it gets in your face! I'm learning to pay attention to where I'm going when I walk through Gus's plants in the backyard. The absolute worst ones are the BIG, really BIG, really fast, black spiders that move so fast you'd think they have a hundred legs!! Fortunately I've only seen one so far, but I've seen them other times when we have been here and it still creeps me out!! OK, enough about the critters! On to other things. In case you were wondering, a gallon of gas is about $4.50 a gallon. I've seen it a little less than that a few times. A gallon of milk costs...ready for this?...$7.00 a gallon!!! Isn't that crazy?? Groceries definately cost A LOT more here than in Wisconsin. I'm hoping to shop at local farmer's markets and buy in bulk to save a little money. Unfortunately, it's just something that we are going to have to get used to. The sun sets at about 6:30 or 7pm and it is completely dark soon after that. That's kind of hard to get used to, but we also have beautiful sunsets over the ocean every night too. It's a trade off, I guess. I love reading your comments and emails. Thanks for your interest in my babbling about our lives. It makes us feel closer to everyone, even though there are many miles between us. So until next time...aloha!

6 comments:

Judi in WI said...

I'm sorry Lynn, I don't do spiders or other creepy crawly things.... so get rid of them before I visit........yuck... Mice do not bother me but anything smaller then them freaks me out........ do they have exterminators?? if so, that would be my next plan when you got settled.

Anonymous said...

Hi Lynn, A.J. & Jenna
Sounds like the creepy ceawly things are more than I could handle. I'm sure you will get rid of them soon!!!!
All it does here is rain. Our lawn is really starting to look nice. That is the only good thing about these dull,cloudy days.
The second graders from Room 2B say "Hi" to Jenna. Jenna we will have to write to you this year and compare schools. We are very interested in what you do different for Christmas. For social studies the whole month of Dec. we study Christmas Around the World. We would love to know what is different in Hawaii.
Take Care,
Aunt Clarrisa and Room 2B

Anonymous said...

Hi Lynn, AJ, and Jenna Boo;
I have goosebumps just thinking about the bugs!!! They freak me out!! I really enjoy hearing from you and what you have been up to. I have been giving copies to Mom and Dad. They also enjoy hearing about what's happening. Tom and I are hosting the Swiss Valley Farms YC picnic at the farm Sunday. We have been busy cleaning, painting and lots of other "fun" stuff. Next week is homecoming. Kyle is on homecoming court!!! It should be a crazy week. Ben would like to know "how hot is is?". Keep the info coming! Please give Jenna an Aunt Julie special kiss!! Love Ya! ~Jul

Anonymous said...

Hi,
Sorry to hear about the bugs. Yikes, you know how I feel about spiders. I am happy you choose the Christian school for Jenna. She is going to do great. Reese is cutting more teeth...not much fun, otherwise all is well.
Love you,
Lisa & family

Anonymous said...

okay, i was not at all looking forward to the coming wisconsin winter (which everyone is saying is supposed to be even worse than last year) UNTIL i read about all the creepy crawlies in Hawaii :-) this is one good thing about living in a place where you get a good cold winter every year. bye bye spiders and ants!
:-) miss you, SuAnn

Anonymous said...

Hi Lynn!!!!!!

Its Rebekah!!!
Its sounds like your having a good time.

Talk 2 u later!!!