Hawaiian Sunset at Hapuna Beach

Thursday, October 9, 2008

This-n-That

Well, yesterday I accomplished quite a bit. I finally finished emptying boxes in our bedroom and bathroom. I can actually see the floor in the bedroom! Woo-hoo!! I think I finally have the kitchen set up like I want it. I still have cupboard space left, but I have vowed that I will NOT fill it up!! We do not need as much stuff as we had at our old house. I'm trying really hard to just have the basis with no extras. It's becoming more appearant to me that all the "stuff" we have is really not that important...my relationships with the Lord and my family and friends are FAR more important!! Afterall, we can't take it with us, right? I already have things in mind that I should sell at a garage sale. Sad, I know. It was hard to know exactly what we would want or need when we were packing. Now that we are here, I realize that there are things that are not as important to me as I thought they were. But I guess that's one of many things that I will learn on this adventure! I'm ready to learn more Lord! Bring it on!

Jenna reminded me that I forgot to mention one more thing for her. We had a green gecko in the house the other day. This WILL happen when you are here, but don't worry they don't get too close to you. They are generally afraid of you and run if you get close. Actually, they are usually high up on the wall or ceiling. Anyway, this particular gecko chose to come close to the ground and Jenna started chasing it, trying catch it. She almost did! She caught it by it's tail and the tail came off! This is normal and is a defense mechanism for geckos. If they are being chased by a predator, they will loose their tail and the tail keeps wiggling. This supposedly makes the predator go after the tail while the gecko gets away. Of course, our soft hearted little Jenna felt terrible! But when I explained to her that she didn't hurt the gecko, she was OK. We have seen the gecko around outside since then and the tail is starting to grow back. Jenna refers to him as the "tail-less gecko." I hope we get to see him around until the entire tail grows back!

I have another Jenna-ism I need to share with you. She is such a hoot. Sometimes she really cracks me up!! Since the election is getting close, the supporters of all the candidates are standing along side the road again waving at everyone as they drive by. This drives Jenna crazy! She calls them the "annoyings." The other day when we were driving to school, she suddenly goes, "OOOH NO!!" I was like, What's wrong?! She said "The annoyings are back!" I just starting laughing! I don't know where she comes up with these things!! You know, she's only 7, but she knows a lot about the election. Well, at least more than I would think a 7 year old would know. She knows who the presidential candidates are and she knows that no matter what the outcome is, this will be an historic election for our country. I'm sure I didn't pay any attention to any of that when I was 7!!

Well, I think that's all for today. I hope that everthing is going great for you. I miss you and I miss this time of year in Wisconsin. Fall is my favorite time of year. Please run through the leaves for me and Jenna. Make sure you find some really dry, noisy ones. Those are the best, and mine and Jenna's favorites!

Well, OK! One more thing! I'm sitting at this outdoor internet cafe and I usually have a gecko that crawls around the table and down the umbrella post. Once in a while he looks at me over the top of the laptop. I took a few pictures with my cell phone, so if I can figure out to get them onto my computer, I will post a few on my blog. Today, he was sitting on the umbrerlla post and a tiny little bug, like a gnat, sat on the post too. Well, that bug ended up being breakfast for the gecko! He just stuck out his little tongue really fast and "zap!" the little bug was gone! Pretty cool to see actually. This gecko is very friendly...he is hanging around a lot longer today than normal. When you come and visit, I will bring you here and hopefully you can meet him. I'll have to bring Jenna down to see him and she can name him. She'd probably like that. OK. I'm done this time, so until next time...aloha!

2 comments:

talaria said...

Your blogs bring me so much joy! Thanks for writing with such detail. Seing the world through fresh eyes. I appreciate your efforts.**I agree with your comments that all that matters is your relationship with the Lord, family and friends. Madonna sang the truth, 'It's a material world'. Rick and I were talking last night about our move, laughing about the piles of 'things' we have made in the past months and how more and more 'things' move to the sell pile, things we felt we HAD to have.**I also am attempting to transition to a 'fresh' cooking attitude and have less stock. I am attempting to use up the COSTCO foods we had purchased when we had a huge pantry, but am ready to donate a bunch of it to the mission kitchen as I don't have room to store it on this boat. But give yourself a break and think of where you were living, cold hard winters spur the need to store food stuffs. I love buying fresh and planning for 2 days when I go to the store. **I love hearing of you and Jenna's experiences...now to hear from AJ. **The pruning by the Lord can be disconcerting at times, but refreshing....in Japan I felt the lack of frends made me get on my knees and into the Word more..in the end better for me. I discovered that in the past, I ran to friends or kept myself busy with good works in the church instead of with Him. Love to you all

Judi in WI said...

Lynn I'm not quite sure if I wanted to laugh at your gecko story and it's tail still moving or shudder at the sound of it..... lol

It was beautiful here today and suppose to be a nicer day tomorrow.. I miss you, our walks and our talks...