Today at Jenna's school, they had a Science Fair. Each of the kids had to do a project and present it to the 3rd grade students and 3 judges. Jenna chose to do her project on magnets. She had to have a purpose, hypothosis, experiment (materials and steps in the experiment), results and summary. AJ and I thought this project was a little much to ask of a 2nd grader...it would be more appropriate for Jr High! The kids were supposed to do most of it themselves with little parental help. Jenna did do most of it herself. I guided her and gave her some direction. AJ was great with helping her with the presentation part of it. She asked the question...Can a paperclip float in the air by itself? She taped a string to a phone book and tied the other end of the string to a paperclip. Then she used the magnets to pull the paperclip into the air. She could pull the magnet away from the paperclip about 1 1/2 inches before the paperclip fell. We tried several magnets and measured the distance between the paperclip and the magnet. It was a lot of fun. She did her class presentation today. She did a really great job!! The teacher had a microphone for the kids, but didn't have it on for the first few kids. Fortunately she thought to check it right before Jenna started, so she got to use the mircophone. You could hear her a lot better that the other kids!
I taped it and posted it for you to watch. I apologize that I missed the first few sentences of her presentation. I had the camera in the wrong mode! I dropped her off at school and then parked and waited for the presentations to start since it was only an hour later. While I was waiting I saw a mother hen and her chicks in the parking lot. I took a picture of them and forgot to put the camera back into video mode!! Jenna started her presention and I realized that I wasn't taping. I still got most of it. You just miss her saying her name and what her project is about. You might need to turn the volume up all the way on your computer because it is kind of hard to hear. I could hear her really well in the classroom, but I guess the camera didn't pick the sound up very well. I hope you enjoy it!! I'll let you know if she gets a ribbon or something. Until next time...aloha!
No comments:
Post a Comment