Hawaiian Sunset at Hapuna Beach

Monday, December 1, 2008

Time flies!

Well, another week has just flown by! I had every intention of writing in the middle of the week and it didn't happen again!! I'll try and remember back to everything that happened. I went into Jenna's class for her presentation and her play. She made an Indian necklace out of clay and wrote a little report about it. She did a great job presenting. She was one on the few students that I could actually hear when she spoke! I video taped it and took pictures. I will post the pictures. I have tried to figure out how to get the video on to my computer, but so far it hasn't worked. I'll keep trying because I would love for you to see what she has been up to!! She had 5 lines for the play. She did great. She kept trying to tell the other students to stand still and where to stand. She's such a little perfectionist sometimes! Maybe she has a career in directing in her future!

Thanksgiving Day was a fun day. We went to AJ's boss's house along with several of the other employees. It was fun getting to know the people that AJ works with. It's nice to be able to put a face to the names. I talked for a long time to a couple from South Africa. It was interesting hearing about their culture, how their visas work and how many places they have traveled and worked. The guy from Moldova that AJ worked with last Monday ended up have his appendix removed last week Tuesday! He started to not feel well Monday night and by Tuesday morning he was asking to go to the hospital. He had surgery Tuesday morning and was released on Thursday morning. He came to the Thanksgiving gathering at Gus's because he feels like these people are his family and he wanted to be with everyone! I couldn't believe that he felt well enough to be there! He ate a lot of food too!! I was hoping that it wouldn't make him sick! He left a few hours after we ate to take some pain medicine and get some rest. I hope he recovers quickly! We were able to talk to members of our families throughout the day. It was nice to catch up with everyone. I hope all of you had a very Happy Thanksgiving! We have so much to be thankful for in this country!!

On Saturday, Jenna's school had a fund-raising auction and dinner. We helped get all of the auction items from the school and to the building where everything was being held. There were over 500 items donated for the auction! It was quite the event! The auction was a silent auction that went on for 3 hours. We bought a few things. Jenna wanted this basket full of party supplies that she thought she could use for her birthday. She stood by that bid sheet for half the night making sure that no one outbid us. When someone upped the bid, she came running to me to make sure that I upped the bid too! She's so funny! There was entertainment going on all night. Jenna and the girls in her hula class put on a performance for the crowd. It was so good!! Jenna joined the class late, so she had only practiced the dance that they did about 5 times. She did really good! I video taped it and I really hope that I can get it posted for you! It's so cute!! I posted a few pictures until I can get the video on here for you.

We are very excited to announce that we will be having our first visitors to the Big Island this week! AJ's sister Deena and her husband Rick are coming in on Friday and will be here until Tuesday. We are planning to spend a lot of time at the beach snorkeling and laying on the beach. We plan to go kayaking too! We are all really looking forward to it!!!

AJ commented tonight that he heard a Christmas song on the radio today. He said that it seems very odd to hear Christmas songs when he's wearing a t-shirt and sweat is dripping from his brow! Time is just an illusion for all of us! It's hard to comprehend that it is December 1st!! AJ's co-worker from South Africa told him that their Christmas is in the summer so this is normal to him. AJ and I commented that we had never thought of that before...the seasons in South Africa are opposite of ours! The things you learn!!! Well, I think I have you caught up with everything. I can't guarantee that I will write anything for another week since we have visitors coming, but I'll try. So until next time...aloha!

No comments: