Hawaiian Sunset at Hapuna Beach

Monday, November 24, 2008

Another week gone by!!

I can't believe that a whole week has passed again! I'm sorry for being so long in between posts! It seems like there is always something going on. I continue to go into Jenna's classroom to help with projects. She is studying American Indians right now. Last week I went in and showed the kids how to make Indian headbands. This week I showed the kids how to make necklaces from salad macaroni. I spray painted the macaroni purple and then the kids were able to use purple and white macaroni to make their necklaces. As usual, it was so fun! I just love going into her room. She has a project to make again like she did for Colonial Day. We decided not to make such an elaborate project this time. She decided to make a necklace out of clay. The necklace is made of "bear claws", "bones" and beads. She did a great job making it. I had to help her a little, but she did most of it. It so much faster and easier than her Colonial Day project!! She is in a play this week. We made her an Indian outfit from an old pillow case I bought at a garage sale. We dyed it brown and it actually turned out pretty good! She is going to wear her dress, the headband that she made and the necklace that she made. I'll take some pictures and post them. She has 5 lines. She is really nervous, but I think she will do great! I'm really hoping that she has her Dad's public speaking abilities and not mine!! I usually get so nervous, I get nauseous!I'm going to video tape it and try to post it. Hopefully I'll be able to figure it out.

Jenna is also in the Christmas program for school and for church. I'm not really sure what she is doing for school, but for church she is an animal and then an angel. The kids are singing a bunch of songs too. I'll tape it and try to post this too. I decided to join the Christmas choir this year...................................................................................................................................I was waiting for the laughter to subside! I'm really not a good singer, but I like to sing so I thought I would give it a try. My wonderful husband told me that if they don't like me, they can always ask me to leave! Thanks for the vote of confidence AJ!! I started off thinking I could sing soprano, but it was way too high for me. I'm singing alto now, which is much better! I find myself switching from alto to soprano sometimes, but it's getting better. I'm just glad I can be with a group. I would never attempt to sing by myself in front of a crowd! That would be really cruel!! I'm sure I would scare everyone away!

On Saturday of this past weekend we went to a fund-raising concert and dinner. It was to raise money to help take care of the beach that we call "Turtle Beach." This is the beach that I wrote about in my last post; the one I saw the turtle at. It was a really fun evening. They had a comedian perform several times. He was pretty good. There was a group of students from area high schools that played the drums. They were amazing! They used really big sticks and just did a phenomenal job! Jenna had her hands covering her ears the entire time. It was too loud for her. There was a trio of 2 guys and a girl that sang for a while, and then these two guys finished the concert. The two guys were from Honolulu and they were called Hapa (haw-paw). They were unbelieveable!! The one guy was a Hawaiian and he could sing so high is was amazing! Actually the guys from the other group could sing really high too. It was so amazing to see this big Hawaiian guy, looking big and tough and then to hear this high pitched voice come out of him! They could all sing much, much higher than I could ever dream of singing! The Hawaiian guy in the group Hapa sang this one song falsetto and when he was done his partner was joking that he was wearing really tight underware! It was pretty funny! The other guy in this group played the guitar like a mad man!! He pounded on those strings so hard and fast it was amazing that he could even get one note right! He played so intensely that you could see the veins and muscles sticking out from his neck! He actually did break a string at one point, but he changed it so fast that he hardly missed a beat! They were really, really, really good! I could have listened to them for a lot longer!

AJ continues to enjoy his work. Today he worked with a guy from South Africa and another guy from Mondova, which is near Russia. It's pretty cool for him to work with people from all over the world. He gets to learn about them and their culture, which he then shares with me and Jenna. On Thankgiving, Gus is having his employees over to his house for dinner. I'm looking forward to meeting all of the people that AJ talks about everyday. I think it will be fun to meet them and get to know them a little.

I promise I will try to post something a little more often. Jenna's play is Wednesday, so I'll try and figure out how to post it right away. So until next time...aloha!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Lynn, it is actually good news that you don't have time to post. That means you are always busy and enjoying yourselves.... I'm very happy you fit in so well there.