Hawaiian Sunset at Hapuna Beach

Friday, December 19, 2008

Rick and Deena's Visit - Part 2 - finally!!

Sunday, December 7:
Today was another great day! We went to a place called Kiholo Bay (Key-ho-lo). We walked along a dirt/lava path to the ocean. Along the way, we saw several wild goats! We hiked over some rough lava to the edge of the water. From there we waded through thigh-deep water, and then through another body of water that was (on ME) chest deep! The water was much deeper than any other time we have crossed. I guess the tide must have been in. We made it safely across and immediately found what we were looking for…giant sea turtles! I think they are one of the most magnificent animals ever created! They are so beautiful! The ones at Kiholo Bay come out of the water and bask in the sun. They turn completely white when they dry off. When they are in the water, they are dark brown or black in color. They must have been 2 or 3 feet in diameter. They were huge! We saw a few smaller ones too. It was so cool to see! I posted some pictures for you.

After we made our way back from seeing the turtles, we headed to Hapuna Beach (Ha-poo-na) to play in the water. This is a great beach for body surfing! The waves were really big at times, making the body surfing a blast! Jenna used her boogie board to ride the waves closer to shore. She did awesome! Jenna and Deena made a fabulous sand castle. I wish I would have taken a picture of it! I guess they will have to come back for another visit so they can build another sand castle!!

We had to hurry back from the beach so Jenna could shower and go to practice for the church Christmas program. While she was there, AJ, Rick and Deena went to the Kona Brew Pub so Rick and Deena could try some local brews and buy souvenir t-shirts. I waited at the house for Jenna to get home from rehearsal. When AJ, Rick and Deena came home, Deena showed me how to make a Thai dinner using fresh Ono and fresh Ahi (types of fish). It turned out great! It was so good!!

Monday, December 8:
AJ had to go back to work today and Jenna had to go to school, so I was terribly burdened with the job of taking Rick and Deena to the beach! It’s a tough job, but I think I lived up to the challenge! I took them to Kahalau Beach, the one we call “Turtle Beach.” It was kind of a cloudy day. The water was super high! Higher than I have ever seen it! There is a large lava rock area that we usually sit on to put our flippers on, but that was completely under water! I couldn’t believe it!! It was windy too, so the water was rough, but we went out snorkeling anyway. It was a little cloudy because the sand was stirred up since the water was so rough, but when you got out over the coral, it was awesome! I headed straight for the area where I found the turtle the last time. It was a little harder to find since the rock I use as my landmark was under water! I went in the general direction and it wasn’t long until I found him eating algae off of the bottom of the ocean!! It was so cool to see him!! I took some pictures with our underwater camera. I posted them for you. I went to find Rick and Deena. The water was so rough, I has a hard time swimming back to shore! I was getting tossed all over the place! I finally found Rick and I showed him where to find the turtle. When we got back to the spot, there were 2 turtles in the area!! It was so amazing!! I tried to take some pictures, but it was hard to get good ones because the water was so rough. I attempted to get some video too, but it didn’t turn out very well. I will try and put the video on my blog for you to see. But beware, you might get seasick! After a little while, I went to find Deena. It seemed like it took forever, but I finally found her! I took her to where Rick was, but the time we got there, one of the turtles had swum away. We all spent a lot of time watching the turtle eating off of the bottom. It was so neat to watch. I can’t remember exactly, but Deena read something about what the turtles eat…there are hundreds of kinds of algae, but the turtles only eat about 40 kinds! That really makes a person want to take care of the ocean! The turtles are so beautiful, graceful and fun to watch. I can’t imagine the oceans without them!!

Tuesday, December 9:
Today Rick and Deena went back to Seattle. Before I took them to the airport, we walked around Alli Drive for a while and had lunch at a Mexican restaurant. We sat on a rock wall and watched the ocean for a while too. It was nice. It was hard to see them go; we had such a great time with them! It was wonderful having visitors and we look forward to having more!!

Fastforward to Friday, December 19...We are getting ready to leave for Wisconsin in a few hours. We have been told that the weather has been bad. I have been praying that it gets better before we get there! I don't mind having snow; I just don't want to drive in it!! We will see many of you soon. I'll be back to blog after we get home. So, until then...aloha!

No comments: