Hawaiian Sunset at Hapuna Beach

Wednesday, February 17, 2010

AJ saves the day---AGAIN!

Yes, it’s true. He did it again! Well, OK, he didn’t save a co-worker this time, but he did save 2 stranded kayakers. We had friends visiting from Darlington a couple weeks ago and we went kayaking across the Bay. We were on our way back and we saw these 2 people in the water next to their kayak. We didn’t think anything of it at first because a lot people get out of their kayaks to snorkel or swim with the dolphins. But then we thought we saw somebody waving to us. AJ decided to check it out. It turns out these people had a crack in their kayak and it was filling with water. They couldn’t get the water out because it was in between somehow. AJ tried to pull them, but with the weight of the water and the 2 people it was very difficult! He decided to pull them to shore and go back to the boat dock area and have someone bring them a different kayak. By this time, Steve, Diane and I had paddled over to see if we could help too. I took Jenna from AJ’s kayak and had the lady hang on to my kayak so AJ’s load was lightened a little. It didn’t even look like he was moving, but eventually he was able to pull the man and the kayak to shore. He pulled the kayak up onto the rocks and then we went back to the boat landing to get them help. It all turned out OK thankfully! We’re going kayaking again this coming weekend and I’m a little nervous about what we might get ourselves into!! But, on the other hand, I guess AJ has proven that he will take care of us whatever the situation!

While we were over by the Captain Cook Monument in the Bay we saw 2 humpback whales swim by! It was so amazing! They were so close to shore!! I got some pretty good pictures and I took some video. I posted some pictures and I tried to post the video, but I think it’s too big and it wouldn’t upload. Oh well. I think you’ll get the idea from the pictures. Better yet, come visit us and you can see the whales for yourself!! We have visitors here again now…our good friends Brock and Karen. We are having such a good time! I’ll try and post a summary of our adventures, and hopefully it won’t be 6 months from now!! Well, that’s all for now. Until next time…aloha!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am so proud of all of you - AJ - you are the best - From the marsh

diane said...

AJ & Lynn & Jenna-- We had sooo much fun with you guys in Feb. Steve is already talking about coming back! And yes Aj is the true hero.... It pays to have an experienced kayaker in the ocean with you let me tell you...as I am sure that couple would agree as well :)

DI