Hawaiian Sunset at Hapuna Beach

Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Happy New Year!

WOW! I can't believe it has been one and half months since I last posted! Where does the time go?? Well, I have a really long one for today, so be prepared to sit awhile! Today is Jenna's 9th Birthday. I can't believe she is that old already!! Again, where does the time go?? We are having a party for her and 13 of her friends today. I will post about that later. Today I want to tell you all about our trip to Wisconsin over Christmas. We had a terrific time!!

Of course, it was very busy, but we saw lots of family and friends. We stayed at the new hotel in Darlington and got to see many of our friends the first 3 days. Jenna and her friends swam in the pool, which she loved, being the little fish that she is. But since she is not used to swimming in chlorinated water, her face and eyes were sore and red for several days. It didn’t bother her too much—she loves the water!!

We stayed at AJ’s sister’s house for a few days and got to relax and watch the winter weather. We enjoyed spending time with Sue and the family and got to “talk” to our niece’s baby (through her belly—but I’m sure he/she will recognize our voices some day! :-) We worked on puzzles and read and played with Eb, their big, fluffy, lovable dog.

We spent the next few days in Cuba City at my parent’s house. The days of quiet relaxation were done! There were 10 people staying the house-two of them being our niece and nephew that are 2 and 4 years old. Lots of noise and excitement!! Jenna had a ball playing with her cousins Ben, Jackson and Reese. AJ and I had lots of great family time talking and catching up with my parents, brothers and sisters. We put together a 1000 piece, nearly impossible puzzle that took several days! It was the most challenging puzzle I have ever made. My Dad is going to frame it so no one has to suffer through making it again! :-) We had “professional” family pictures taken the day after Christmas. I think it went very well. I can’t wait to see them!

I had a “pre-reunion” reunion with my classmates while in Cuba City. It was great seeing so many old friends that I haven’t seen in years! I counted 32 of 88 classmates, give or take a few! I can’t wait for the reunion planned for July 31, 2010. It will be great to see everyone again and hopefully some that I didn’t over Christmas!

We spent more time with AJ’s family for Christmas and went snowmobiling. I actually drove one and got up to almost 40mph! That’s pretty good for me! I’m a chicken when it comes to driving too fast! Jenna went sledding with her cousin Melanie and loved that too. Jenna enjoyed the snow –especially when it was snowing big flakes and she could catch them on her tongue!

AJ went home a week before Jenna and me. He was back at work the next day! No rest for the wicked I guess! :-) Jenna and I spent the remaining time spending more time with family and friends. We went to Milwaukee and stayed with my sister Lisa and her family. Jenna and I both loved having more time with the kids and Lisa and Aaron. Jenna spent some time with her friend Kaden and his family. It’s amazing to see how much the kids have grown in a year!

We spent New Year’s Eve with my friends Karen and Brock, and several other of our friends from our church in Darlington. It was a fun evening and so great to spend more time with everyone! I’m so excited that Brock and Karen will be coming to visit us in Hawaii in February!! I’m already counting the days!!

We were planning a birthday party for Jenna the day before we left, but unfortunately had to cancel it because Jenna got the stomach flu!! She starting throwing up about midnight and didn’t stop until 5am! Neither one of us got much sleep, but she was able to sleep the next day and finally starting feeling better about 7:30pm. She was really disappointed to miss her party, but she didn’t want to get everyone sick either.

Thank God she was better by Monday morning so we could get on the plane to head home. Thank God also that I did not get sick!! It was a long flight and I wasn’t able to sleep much. Jenna did. Of course. It seems she can sleep anywhere, in any position! We were really glad to be home. It was so good to see AJ. He met us at the airport with a beautiful flower lei for each of us! I think he missed us!??

It was a little weird being home. It seemed so surreal… sometimes I still have this mental battle within me about actually living here vs. just visiting. Everything looked like “home,” yet it sort of seemed like I was just on vacation and I would have to get on the plane again soon and leave. But then, the next day, I was doing laundry and getting groceries, and it was like “oh yeah, I do live here.” It took me most of the day to feel like I was really “home.” You probably think I’m really strange, but it’s hard to describe. “Home” used to be Wisconsin, and I was just there, feeling like I had never left, and then all of the sudden, here I am again…”home.” But the surroundings are VERY different! I’m weird, I know. I can say I now feel like I am “home” again in Hawaii and still loving it!

We home you have a wonderful New Year, full of God’s blessings! Until next time…aloha!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

So good to hear the stories - was great to see all of you!!! From the marsh