Hawaiian Sunset at Hapuna Beach

Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Marleen's visit

I thought I better get you caught up on our last visitors stay before our next visitors arrive today! At the end of May, our friend Marleen and some of her family stayed with us. We had such a great time with them. They did a lot of touring on their own since AJ and I both work, but we were able to join them for some activities. I took them to a coffee store where we took a tour of a coffee factory and got to see how the coffee is grown, harvested, processed, and graded. It was very interesting! The manager is a friend of ours from church and he did a great job educating us on the history of coffee growing in Hawaii and the process of getting the coffee from the plant to your cup. It's a tour I recommend when you come to visit, if it is something that interests you.

We also went to the macademia nut factory. It was the first time that I had ever been there where you could actually watch people working! There is usually nothing going on. This time, we got to watch a man sorting good and bad mac nuts. The mac nuts came through a blower of sorts and fell onto a belt where the man sorted out bad nuts. It was kind of interesting to watch. There was also a machine that we could put a nut in and watch it get hulled. Of course, they had a shop where you could buy fresh macademia nuts...and chocolate covered nuts!! YYUUMMM!

We also went kayaking across the Bay and snorkeling at the Captain Cook Monument. The water was a little rough on the way over, but it was much calmer on the way back!! The kids did not have a lot of experience snorkeling, but they caught on fast and did great! Unfortunately we did not see any dolphins, but in nature you never know! Maybe next time!!

The weather was great the whole time they were here. It was sooooo clear!!! The winds were just right and the vog was gone for about 5 days!! It's the longest stretch of clear days, without vog that we can remember since we moved here! It was so beautiful! Marleen probably got tired of me saying, "I can't believe how clear it is!" I'm glad she's so patient with me!!

We had such a great time with them. As with everyone that visits, it's never enough time! It's nice to have a little taste of "home" once in a while. That's why we love visitors! It makes it seem like we're not so far away. We look forward to the next group...today!! I still have more to update you on, but that's all for today. Until next time...aloha!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love reading your blog -keep it up - Miss you much - From the marsh

Anonymous said...

Congratulations Jenna! Colten finished his Junior year with high honors and Chase with honors! They did really well also. How did we all get so lucky to have such intelligent kids! We are busy planning David and Jenny's wedding - summer is going really fast! Jeanette Heins just got back from her Hawaii trip and looking at her pictures made me wish I was coming over again. Her son Mike is in the military and he and his new bride live just behind Pearl Harbor. Wow, she had some great pictures. They actually went on a military tour of Pearl Harbor which includes a lot a more up close and personal tours of the damaged boats. Glad to see all is well. Talk to you soon! Love Ya! The Tueschers P.S. We finally caught up to your weather (it was 90 degrees today and so humid you could hardly breathe)!