Hello! I'm sorry that it has been a while since I have written. There hasn't been too much to report. I'm still waiting to hear from Hospice of Kona. I thought that I would hear last week since I told them when I interviewed that they could contact my references and do a background check. I even offered to sign the paperwork, but the gal that interviewed me wanted to wait to talk to the director. I guess I can understand that. So last week on Tuesday I got an email asking me to sign for permission to do a background check. It wouldn't work online so I had to print it off and fax it back to them on Wednesday. On Thursday, I got another email asking for permission to contact my former employers. I had to print that off and sign it and AJ faxed that back on Friday! So, now it's Wednesday again and I am still waiting to hear from them! I know that they are busy, but I really thought that I would know by now! I am learning that things operate a little slower in Hawaii!! That's not all bad...I think we could all use a slower pace sometimes!
AJ has continued to be very busy at work. Hopefully this will be the last week of really long days. He actually had last Saturday off! Jenna and I were really happy about that! AJ wanted to do something so we decided to go explore a place called the Wiapi'o Valley (why-pee-o). It's a place in the northern part of the Island. There is a lookout over the valley and you can see along the coast for a long way! It's very beautiful! It was a little cloudy when we were there, but that's normal this time of year. Also, it rains a lot in this part of the Island, so we were actually lucky that we didn't get rained on! You can go down into the valley, but only if you walk or have 4-wheel drive. The road is at a 25% grade! It drops 900 feet in less than a mile! We took AJ's truck down VERY slowly!! It was ok, but a little scary. The road is not very wide and in places there is only room for one vehicle at a time, so they have "wide spots" in the road for you to pull over and let the trucks coming up the hill go first. Very interesting! Once you get to the bottom there is a really rough road to drive on to get to the beach. It's a black sand beach and the area is very pretty. Since it is winter, the ocean is really rough and the waves were huge! It's fun to watch them come crashing into shore. Jenna had a ball playing in the sand! She found a big stick that she used to write her name in the sand make a trail for me to follow. After we played in the sand for a while, we drove back into the valley. Again, the road was very rough and it had about 4 stream crossings to go through. I've posted a few pictures of how deep the water was. When you get back far enough into the valley there are HUGE, beautiful waterfalls!! The biggest one is 1450 feet, with 1200 feet of it being free falling! There are trails that you can take to hike back to the waterfall. That is something that we want to do in the future. Anyone that comes to visit and wants to do something adventurous and "non-tourist-y," this is for you! There are actually several places to hike in this valley. One of the other ones that we are interested in would probably take most of the day and we would camp overnight. Jenna is not big enough for this hike yet, so we will wait a couple of years.
Jenna is doing great! She has been invited to a couple of birthday parties. Both of the places had pools, so she got to swim for a whole day at both parties! She loved that! She is doing great in school. I have been fortunate enough to be able to go into her classroom on Thursday afternoons to help with art projects. I think that I will be able to continue doing this after I start working too. I think the job will be Monday, Wednesday and Friday with an occasional weekend on call. That's if I get hired, of course!! I hope to hear soon, so I will let you know! So, until next time...aloha!
No comments:
Post a Comment