Hawaiian Sunset at Hapuna Beach

Thursday, January 15, 2009

Jenna's 8th Birthday and MORE

I'm baaaaack!! Yes, I know...finally!!! We have been busy, but honestly, I just haven't felt like taking the time to write. I needed a little break, I guess. Well, because I've taken so much time off, I have a lot to say so be prepared! On January 6 our little Jenna turned 8 years old!! I can't believe it!! Time goes sooooo fast!! We had a great day. She invited 2 friends over and I took them to the beach. They had lunch, played in the water and played in the sand. They had a great time. I've posted a few pictures. Her two friends are Enjolique (0n-jo-leek) and Eunjean (oon-jean). She had to pick the two girls with the most difficult names to pronounce! :-) I kept getting them mixed up all day! We stayed at the beach for several hours and then headed back to the house. It was also Sandy's birthday (Gus's wife). We had planned to have dinner with Gus and Sandy so that the "birthday sisters" could celebrate together. Sandy's parents were in town and so was a friend of Gus's, so they all came too! We ended up with 7 adults and 3 kids for dinner. It was kind of busy, but it all worked out great. Jenna kept telling me all day that it didn't feel like her birthday, but I think by the time she opened her gifts and had birthday cake, it felt like her birthday. She said she had a great day! Mission accomplished! She is such a blessing to us! She is a great kid (I'm a little biased, I know, but I'm the Mom, I can do that!) :-)

Last Sunday we had a nasty storm blow through (nothing like the midwest is getting, I realize that, but humor me here, OK?) We were watching it come across the ocean. You could actually see the line of rain. All of the sudden the winds picked up and it started pouring down rain!! Thank goodness we were still home! We were just getting ready to leave for church when the storm hit. We were able to get all of the windows shut before everything got wet. We moved the patio furniture on the lanai (deck) against the house, and good thing because the wind blew the rain half way across it!! I heard later that the winds at the airport were about 33 miles per hour! There were trees and branches and leaves everywhere! There was some flash flooding too I guess. Some people actually missed church because it was "too bad" to go out! AJ and I thought that was kind of funny! If they only knew how bad a "winter storm" could really be!! We were told that this was a winter storm for Hawaii. I can handle a little wind and rain! But, I guess when it rains really hard there can be mud slides and flash flooding, so people stay home to make sure everything is OK. On top of the mountain (Mauna Kea) they got 6 inches of snow. They actually had to close the roads leading up to the mountain. Now that's something you don't hear of too often in Hawaii!!

While we were watching the storm on the ocean, we could see whales coming out of the water and slapping their flippers on the water. We could see them with the "naked" eye, but we could see them a lot better with the biloculars. It was pretty cool to see!

AJ has been really busy at work. They are busy starting the process of filling the 26,000 little hives for raising queen bees. He has been gone at least 12+ hours a day, and working Saturdays too. Fortunately this process will last only a couple more weeks. After that, he should be back to regular hours. Jenna and I will be glad to have him back with us for dinner at night!

I have good news! I have applied for a position as a Hospice nurse and have had one interview. I think it went really well. I have another interview on Friday afternoon. Hopefully after that I will be offered the job! It would be part time. I really hope that I get it. It sounds like a great company.

AJ and I are watching the news right now. There is more bad weather on the way! They are talking about winds from 30-50 miles per hour with wind gusts up to 60 miles per hour!! They have already cancelled school on the entire islands of Oahu, Maui, Kauai, and Lani'i!! The Big Island is supposedly going to be OK. I hope so! The waves have been crashing really hard lately! We can easily hear them from our house.

Hawaii switched to digital TV today. It sounds like everything went OK. I'm glad the switch is over. I'm getting tired of hearing about it!! Well, I think I have finally gotten everyone up to date. I'm sorry again for the delay. I'll try to write sooner the next time, so until then...aloha!

No comments: